On 11/4/15, 12:11 AM, "Justin Mclean" <justinmcl...@me.com> wrote:

>> For sure, I agree with the basic principles you state.  I believe the
>> authors of events.js do not have copyright to the lines in these files.
>> If you look at the content of events.as and compare it to events.js,
>> events.as is so heavily modified by apache committers such that I don’t
>> think the authors of events.js can truly lay claim to any significant
>> portion of it.
>
>INAL but AFAIW modification even if it extensive usually doesn’t remove
>the original copyright.
>
>For example [1], although it might be different under US law.
>"There are no provisions or exceptions in the Copyright Act that cover
>adapting or modifying material”
>
>It even goes on to say:
>"For computer programs - which are considered literary works - an
>adaptation is a version of the work that is not a reproduction. The
>adaptation may or may not be in the same language, code or notation the
>work was originally expressed in."
>
>The Apache license also explicitly deals with this, here’s the relevant
>bits:
>
>4. Redistribution.
>       • You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
>that You changed the files;
>       • You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You
>distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices
>from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not
>pertain to any part of the Derivative Works;
>
>However the fact that the GCL is permissively licensed means that’s it’s
>OK we can modify it as long we keep the original copyright intact.
>
>Options I see are:
>1.Leave the original Google copyright header on it, and as it Apache
>Licensed there no need to mention these files in LICENSE.

I think it may have to do with whether the AS version is a new
implementation or just a copy.  I asked an Adobe attorney and she just
wrote back to say it looks more like a copy to her so I will put the
Google copyrights in these files.

It is still my understanding that non-ASF AL code should be mentioned in
LICENSE [2].

[2] http://s.apache.org/7mq