And what about calling that stuff "Flex 5"?

We'd have the flex5 compiler (aka Falcon), framework (aka ASJS) ...

Chris

Von: Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. April 2016 07:02
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: FlexJS identity crisis. was: [Discuss]Accept donation of drawing
APIs

Good thoughts in this thread.

My current thinking is this:

FalconJX is a code name for the cross-compiler, but because there is an
Apache Falcon project, we need a better product name, and consider that
Falcon may someday compile SWFs for the Flex SDK.  Adobe already used
ASC2.0, plus our version of Falcon handles MXML.  We could use MXMLC2.0,
but I'm not a huge fan of that.

IMO, FlexJS has become a tool chain.  It takes in MXML and AS and outputs
SWFs or HTML/JS/CSS.  We want to draw in every JS framework community to
MXML-enable their components.  Peter is hoping to finish a demo soon of
how much easier it is to learn and use CreateJS with MXML than with the
current CreateJS tutorials in JS.  Maybe that will get the ball rolling
downhill.

We will still build out a Basic component set for lowest-level
smallest-footprint apps.  And we hope to build out MX and Spark-like
component sets to ease migration pain for existing Flex code bases.

Yes, we have CreateJS, Jquery and GoogleMaps SWCs now, mostly as
proofs-of-concept.  I hope to see the respective communities take over
development of these SWCs and expect them to do it outside of our repos,
and have independent release schedules.

So that's why I'm not sure a component set that targets Stage3D and
Starling has to be part of this community.  It can certainly be a customer
of the FlexJS tool chain, and we want it to be a customer, but we want all
JS component set communities to be customers of FlexJS whether they build
for SWF-first workflows or direct-to-JS workflows.

Further down the road, once FlexJS grows to support distributed
development, we will be able to more clearly show the benefit of SWF-first
workflows for those who need it.  But that's for another thread someday.

My 2 cents,
-Alex