Because my workaround worked… I'm guessing the config file (
http://flex.apache.org/installer/sdk-installer-config-4.0.xml) should be
updated from:
https://flex.apache.org/single-mirror-url--xml.cgi
to:
https://flex.apache.org/single-mirror-url.cgi

It seems like the installer isn't actually expecting an xml response and
plain text just works.

I think most browsers and AIR for the flex sdk installer are respecting the
content type that's set to xml but the actual response is just plain text
with no xml content.