On 12/16/16, 2:06 AM, "Justin Mclean" <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> I have the beginnings of a DITA emitter, but it needs finishing.  You
>>are
>> welcome to finish it.  IMO, the project is better off not having new
>> dependencies on XSLT.  It is great that you are an expert at it, but it
>>is
>> more important that we have redundancy in the community
>
>I also know XSLT so there is redundancy. Basic XSLT stuff is easy enough
>to pick up if you have ever used a tempting system (or MXML binding
>thinking about it) and know XML which I think would be most people.

OK, but you have said elsewhere you have little time to contribute.  The
fewer things folks have to know to contribute the better.  Honestly, I've
always wanted to replace the XSLT in the regular Flex ASDoc.  We know
folks have to know AS to participate.  What happens if you and Chris are
busy or no longer around?

Let's first discuss this one point:  Should FlexJS ASDoc be static HTML or
a Rich Internet Application?  Maybe there is some advantage to static HTML
that I don't understand.  This is definitely not my area of expertise.  I
just know that when I compare Apache Flex ASDoc [1] to Adobe's ASDoc [2],
the first thing I notice is the filtering.  I think FlexJS is really going
to need good filtering because it is going to have lots more classes that
should only be used in certain contexts.  To me, that's an application.
Yes, maybe all other languages currently publish doc as HTML pages, but
isn't one of our goals to have folks start replacing their static sites
with RIAs?

I'm certainly not going to stop anyone from going down the XSLT path, but
would think it would serve the project better if we concentrated our
energy on making ASDoc one of our flagship applications and "eat our dog
food".  And if the XSLT version of the doc gets stale or gets complaints
and those who know XSLT can't keep up and it becomes easier to just
unpublished the XSLT pages, that might have to happen.

[1] http://flex.apache.org/asdoc/
[2]
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/index.ht
ml