On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 8:07 AM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 1/6/17, 1:04 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >While writing my article, I stumbled over one question: Have we ported
> >the validation/invalidation concept of the Flex SDK to FlexJS?
> >I know it’s possible because I implemented something similar when I had
> >to work with GWT and it drastically reduced the number of events and
> >event processing. So I was expecting us to keep this concept from the
> >Flex SDK.
> >But looking for proof for this, I couldn’t directly find anything.
> >Do we still have that? If not, are we planning on having it in the
> >future? What would need to be done to have it?
>
> The Basic set does not have invalidation and hopefully will never have it.

 The underlying browser doesn't have a "run code then render display list"
> concept.  I call the browser behavior "immediate".  If you set a property
> the browser updates right away.  So far, we've been able to build our apps
> without invalidation.
>
> The Express set will hopefully be a composition of Basic and thus not have
> invalidation and never need it, but you never know.
>
> Other component sets are welcome to use invalidation if it helps.
>
> You are correct that there can be extra updating if you don't use
> invalidation, but the cost of an invalidation/validation system might
> outweigh the benefits in many cases, and I think we can just optimize
> certain special cases that are hot spots.  And have a component set that
> supports invalidation for those who need it.  That's a key takeaway:  In
> FlexJS we want to try to make sure there isn't just one way to solve
> problems that have more than one right answer.

I have been looking at FastDOM [1] which batches DOM manipulations so we
don't have 'layout thrashing' [2]

When I get some time, I will try to do some benchmarks and see if we can
identify hotspots and route them through FastDOM calls.

Thanks,
Om

[1] https://github.com/wilsonpage/fastdom
[2] http://wilsonpage.co.uk/preventing-layout-thrashing/