My thoughts:

Conceptually, I like the idea of donating to projects (and in our case Flex).
The direction of Apache seems to be moving to a more project-centric approach
like we’re seeing with ApacheCon. That makes sense to me in general as Apache
has grown quite a bit and diversified a lot in recent years. Large companies
have business units with funds earmarked for them, and it seems logical for
projects to have a certain level of autonomy in terms of justifying their own
existence. (I’m not saying that every project needs to be “profitable”, but it
also should not be shackled because it’s owned by the foundation.)

Having earmarked money which has a foundation tax seems like a win-win to me.
In all likelihood, project-specific donations will increase over-all donations
to the foundation which could be very good to projects in particular and the
foundation as a whole. Either way, it seems to me like a worthy experiment.

However, the details seem like they are pretty sticky:
1. How would these donations handled for a financial and technical perspective?
2. How are decisions made on how to spend the money?
3. What would be the guidelines on what is a “kosher” expense?
4. Practically, what expenses do we have that would benefit from earmarked
donations?
5. Could donations be given with the expressed desire for it to be used for a
specific purpose? (i.e. if Acme company wants to invest in better docs for a
project, is that okay?)
6. Would recognition for donations be allowed? (i.e. company logo on a project
homepage for donations above $XX)

Re: Infra. Chris has some good points, but the pain points that Alex brings up
are real. Finds don’t necessarily mean that we need to run the infrastructure
ourselves. There’s no reason why project funds cannot go to Infra to pay for
resources that Infra can not otherwise justify. That would give us the best of
both worlds: we are guaranteed the resources we need, while not having to
manage them. Of course, if a project would feel the need to manage something on
their own, I see nothing wrong with that.

Re: #4 I think we could REALLY benefit from professional documentation and
possibly design. We could also benefit from conferences/hackathons. Of course
this goes into the question of #3 and #5. AFAIK, paying for professional
services is currently a major no-no. The question to me is whether that’s
something that’s set in stone or not.

I think things when they go down this track can spiral pretty quickly. I’m not
saying we shouldn’t try this, but we need really clear guidelines fro the board
on which steps to take, and when…