The default MXML is rendering and the cursor shows the location at 00:00 so
I'm guessing it's there but behind the SWF. I might need to set the wmode.

At some point the swf in the browser started layering HTML content over the
swf plugin content without changing the wmode. I don't know how this is
possible but it's working in those browsers. I know gpu and direct were
added at some point. I'm currently not setting it to anything. IE uses
ActiveX so maybe it still needs to be set to opaque or transparent.