Yes I was thinking more in terms of the times I did this type of thing to
support nested typed objects from raw json, more than simple VOs. Not so
much in terms of using reviver, but going through from json -> generic
object -> typed object with most of the support for the last part being in
the abstract base class, and extra field mappings to complex field types
defined in subclasses for specific fields. It was maintainable at the
individual class level, but still quite complicated. Poor man's amf.

Probably not relevant here for simple VOs.