Just as a quick follow-up (in case anyone else is looking for the same)

adding:
<classifier>js</classifier>
to all the swc dependencies in the pom meant I could compile the js-only
project. <targets>JS</targets> alone was not enough.

However I am seeing some runtime errors with things like
base.js:628 goog.require could not find:
org.apache.flex.core.HTMLElementWrapper

and similar.

I'm currently trying to figure this out.