As a point of clarification, are you trying to debug a desktop AIR Application or a Browser based application?

You mentioned you downloaded debug players for browsers, but that you're trying to debug an AIR Desktop application. The two things should be completely unrelated, so I'm not sure which is the issue.

To debug a browser based applications, I use Firefox. I couldn't get a debugger to work in any other browser. Be warned, at least on Windows, Flash/Firefox is not HIGH DPI aware. So, on my Surface Book everything is too small to be practically usable.

There used to be a chrome work around. For a while, you could install the debugger in Chrome and launch chrome with the "disable-bundled-ppapi-flash" command line argument. I never could figure out how to add that browser flag when launching a debugger session through Flash Builder.

I haven't done this in a while, so if you were to tell it no longer worked I'd believe it.

In terms of AIR Debugging, for me it just works. Install latest version of Apache Flex; create AIR Project; click Debug; and it works.

Does this help?