Hi all!

As many of you know, there are a ongoing efforts to consolidate the
streaming API for the next release, and then graduate it (from beta status).

In the process of this consolidation, we want to achieve the following
goals.

 - Make the code more robust and simplify it in parts

 - Clearly define the semantics of the constructs.

 - Prepare it for support of more advanced concepts, like partitionable
state, and event time.

 - Cut support for certain corner cases that were prototyped, but turned
out to be not efficiently doable

Based on prior discussions on the mailing list, Aljoscha and me drafted the
design documents below, which outline how the consolidated API would like.
We focused in constructs, time, and window semantics.

Design document on how to restructure the Streaming API:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Streams+and+Operations+on+Streams

Design document on definitions of time, order, and the resulting semantics:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Time+and+Order+in+Streams

Note: The design of the interfaces and concepts for advanced state in
functions is not in here. That is part of a separate design discussion and
orthogonal to the designs drafted here.

Please have a look and voice questions and concerns. Since we should not
break the streaming API more than once, we should make sure this
consolidation brings it into the shape we want it to be in.

Greetings,
Stephan