I am a bit skeptical about this proposal. A bug fix release should not
change the interface and semantics of the API.
It might be possible to catch the interface changes, but it will be really
hard to ensure that the semantics are not touched.

I see that there are many important fixes in the current master, but I
think it is not a good idea to sacrifice API stability for fixes in a minor
release.
If we can ensure that the API interface and semantics remain stable, I
would be OK with using the master.

Even though it does not help with the current issue, we should pay more
attention to backporting fixes in the future.