Hello all,

I would like to get a conversation started on how we plan to move forward
with FlinkML.

Development on the library currently has been mostly dormant for the past 6
months,

mainly I believe because of the lack of available committers to review PRs.

Last month we got together with Till and Marton and talked about how we
could try to

solve this and ensure continued development of the library.

We see 3 possible paths we could take:

   1.

   Externalize the library, creating a new repository under the Apache
   Flink project. This decouples the development of FlinkML from the Flink
   release cycle, allowing us to move faster and incorporate new features as
   they become available. As FlinkML is a library under development tying it
   to specific versions does not make much sense anyway. The library would
   depend on the latest snapshot version of Flink. It would then be possible
   for the Flink distribution to cherry-pick parts of the library to be
   included with the core distribution.
   2.

   Keep the development under the main Flink project but bring in new
   committers. This would mean that the development remains as is and is tied
   to core Flink releases, but new worked should get merged at much more
   regular intervals through the help of committers other than Till. Marton
   Balassi has volunteered for that role and I hope that more might take up
   that role.
   3. A third option is to fork FlinkML on a repository on which we are
   able to commit freely (again through PRs and reviews of course) and merge
   good parts back into the main repo once in a while. This allows for faster
   progress and more experimental work but obviously creates fragmentation.

I would like to hear your thoughts on these three options, as well as
discuss other

alternatives that could help move FlinkML forward.

Cheers,
Theodore