So in regards to the original topic question it seems like most people
prefer option 2, which is
to keep the development of FlinkML inside the project, but try to bring in
new commiters.

A lot of other interesting points have been raised here as well, and if
people are interested in
working on things like the integration of Flink with other ML libraries
there is definitely room for contribution.

As always, the development of the library will be determined by what people
are willing to work on,
so I do invite people to spend some time with the codebase, and open
discussions here and tickets
about things they would like to see in the future.

Regards,
Theodore