Quick update here: I talked to Aljoscha offline, and the backwards
compatibility is still being tested (there were some bugs identified while
writing the tests).

Also, Stephan made some fixes to the build infrastructure (
https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/3029) that would be good to be
included into the release branch.
To finally get the FLIP-6 branch merged to master, I'm considering
branching off the 1.2 release later today. It will be a little bit more
overhead for Stephan and Aljoscha, but it will unblock all features waiting
for a Flink 1.3 master.