Hello Fabian,
Your plan looks good, I totally agree with your points.
While I am working on FLINK-4680, I had the similar concerns about the
semantics of TumbleRows and SessionRows. It is much clear if we define
these windows as SlideRows with PARTITION BY clause.
Regarding to the implementation plan of Table API row windows, I would also
like to share my ideas/thoughts on OVER window obtained while I am
developing FLINK-4680:

- Table API SlideRow windows (with the same restrictions as above). This
will be mostly API work since the execution part has been solved before.
Though the sliding window can work for the bounded preceding, but it is not
sufficient to support unbounded preceding. For instance, we may potentially
use SlidingProcessingTimeWindows and ProcessingTimeTrigger to implement
“OVER RANGE for processing time”, but we still need to provide a certain
fixed window size, which is not proper for unbounded processing. Same
problems exist for ”OVER RANGE for event time“  and “OVER ROW for
processing time”. Therefore, we need a new window assigner and trigger for
unbounded preceding, say SlideRowGlobalWindows and
SlideRowGlobalWindowXXXTrigger. What do you think?

- Add support for FOLLOWING (except UNBOUNDED FOLLOWING)
If I understand you correctly, you want to implement the SlideRow windows
first without the support of FOLLOWING(I guess you want to leverage the
existing SlidingProcessing(Event)TimeWindows and
Processing(Event)TimeTrigger?). IMO, when we implement SlideRow windows, we
could just provide a new WindowAssigner and trigger, which can support both
bounded preceding and following semantics (current row is just a special
case of FOLLOWING where the following row is equal to 0). What do you think?

- Add support for additional ORDER BY attributes (besides time).
This is an important and a necessary part for OVER. But to achieve this, we
probably need a sorted state backend, maybe sortedMapstate? Is it also
included in your plan.

Best,
SunJincheng