Hi Jark,

let me answer your questions:

Q1: Yes, that's what I am currently thinking about.

Q2: You can interpret a session id as a partitioning attribute. If you have
OVER (PARTITION BY a, SessionWithGap(rowtime)), "a" would be a regular
partitioning attribute and "SessionWithGap(rowtime)" would logically be the
ID of the session a record belongs to. Within a partition you can still use
ORDER BY, PRECEDING and FOLLOWING to define the records over which the
aggregate of each row should be computed.

Q3: My proposal focused on OVER windows for streaming tables. For batch
tables, I would suggest to start as well from the SQL side and add the
Table API as a second step. Of course, the batch side does not need to have
as many restriction as streaming (although we can also start with many
restrictions and extend features later).

Q4: Yes, I think so. ProcessFunction might be the way to go (unless
somebody has a better idea). This might be a bit of effort to implement but
gives us a lot of flexibility when adding features such as retraction and
configurable update rates. We have to think about the performance
implication though. Better runtime abstractions for sorted state might be
helpful.

Best, Fabian