Ok, Let me see if I understand you correctly.
You actually state that flink' states functionality is introduced only to
handle recovering from failures.
Let's take the example given in 1.3 documentary -
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/stream/state.html
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/stream/state.html>

it's a program that sinks messages only after enough items accumulated in
the buffer.
Now, assume I'm not bothered of recovering failures and only want the
simplest way to implement a program that remembers data from the last run in
the stream, then, according to you, I may not use none of the elements
associated with flink' states -
ListState
snapshotState
initializeState
restoreState
and the program still functions correctly?