Hi all!

I want to bring up this discussion because we are approaching the date when
there would be a feature freeze following the time based release schedule.

To make it short, I would suggest to not follow the time-based schedule for
that release. There are a bunch of reasons bringing me to that view:

  - 1.3.0, which was very much pushed by the time-based schedule was not
the best release we ever made. In fact, it had quite a few open issues that
required an immediate 1.3.1 followup and only 1.3.2 fixed some of them.

  - 1.3.2, which is in some sense what 1.3.0 should have been is only 2
weeks back

  - The delta since the last release is still quite small. One could argue
to make a quick release and then soon another release after that, but
releases still tie up quite a good amount of resources, so that would
introduce a delay for much of the ongoing work. I am doubtful if this is a
good idea at this point.

  - The current master has still quite a bit of "ongoing work" that is not
in perfect shape for a release, but could use some more weeks to provide
real value to users. Examples are the dependency reworking, network stack
enhancements, speedier state restore efforts, flip-6, exactly-once
sinks/side-effects, and others.

Alternatively, we could do what we did for 1.1 and 1.2, which is making now
a list of features we want in the release, and then projecting based on
that when we fork off the 1.4 release branch.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Stephan