Forget an important feature: It would allow committers to close pull requests.

On 16.05.2018 12:40, Chesnay Schepler wrote:
Hello,

during the discussion about how to better manage pull requests [1] the topic of GitBox integration came up again.

This seems like a good opportunity to restart this discussion that we had about a year ago [2].

* What is GitBox

   Essentially, GitBox allow us to use GitHub features.
   We can decide for ourselves which features we want enabled.

   We could merge PRs directly on GitHub at the button of a click.
   That said the merge functionality is fairly limited and would
   require picture-perfect commits in the pull requests.
   Commits can be squashed, but you cannot amend commits in any way, be
   it fixing typos or changing the commit message. Realistically this
   limits how much we can use this feature, and it may lead to a
   decline in the quality of commit messages.

   Labels can be useful for the management of PRs as (ready for review,
   delayed for next release, waiting for changes). This is really what
   I'm personally most interested in.

   We've been using GitBox for flink-shaded for a while now and i
   didn't run into any issue. AFAIK GitBox is also the default for new
   projects.

* What this means for committers:

   The apache git remote URL will change, which will require all
   committers to update their git setup.
This also implies that we may have to update the website build scripts.
   The new URL would (probably) be
   /https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/flink.git/.

   To make use of GitHub features you have to link your GitHub and
   Apache accounts. [3]
   This also requires setting up two-factor authentication on GitHub.

   Update the scm entry in the parent pom.xml.

* What this means for contributors:

   Nothing should change for contributors. Small changes (like typos)
   may be merged more quickly, if the commit message is appropriate, as
   it could be done directly through GitHub.