@Chesnay I agree that we did not handle PRs well at all in the past and we need
to change more things than adding a stale bot to address them. I think,
however, that a state bot is one piece of the solution for this because it
makes the staleness of PRs more apparent. Plus, it will clean up those PRs that
really are stale beyond rescue and therefore provide us a better number of
really open PRs.

For me, the main point right now is that the bot will clean up old PRs (some of
them from 2015) so that we get a more accurate number of open PRs. The bot will
also tag state PRs with a “stale” label, which allows us to see at a glance
(with a GitHub query) what PRs are stale.

So far the two arguments I hear against adding a stale bot are:
 - It adds noise
 - Closing PRs is sweeping problems under the rug

I think that an inaccurate number of PRs is more noise than a bot that reminds
us (after say 2 months) about a PR. And the bot is actually the opposite of
“sweeping things under the rug, before, stale PRs are being silently ignored
and get forgotten. With a bot, there would be an automated system that makes
sure we don’t silently sweep PRs under the rug.

I see three groups of people that responded to this:
 - people that work on projects that have a stale PR. those people are very
enthusiastic about adding such a bot to Flink
 - people that don’t work on projects that have a stale PR but are interested
in trying it
 - people that don’t work on projects that have a stale PR but are very much
against against adding such a bot

There is no people that work on a project that have a stale PR but think it’s
not a good idea. In my mind this makes it quite clear that we should add such a
bot.

As I said above, I don’t think the stale PR is the complete solution but it’s
part of the solution.