For reference, I'm still very much -1 on this.

The short version is that auto-closing PRs hides symptoms that lead to stale PRs in the first place.

As an example, consider flink-ml. We have a fair amount of open PRs targeted at this feature, that naturally this bot would close. What are they stale? Because at the time no committer was interested in them. Why are they still around? Because, despite seeing virtually no development for over 2(!!!) years, we still haven't officially declared flink-ml as dead. There is no note in the docs discouraging contributors from working on it, all the JIRAs still exist, and naturally the PRs were not closed because "maybe someone will look at the soon.".

We have this issue also in other areas, like gelly, storm, python, streaming-python. WebUI PRs also routinely become stale. Is anyone asking why or how we could prevent that? Hell no. But sweeping it under a rug? /Sign me up/.

Committers should proactively close PRs that will not be merged so that we can properly communicate to the contributor why this happened, reflect this decision in JIRA and possibly update the contribution guide as a means of preventing such PRs from being opened again. This also provides committers with a reference based on which they can close future PRs.

Recommending contributors to continuously update their PRs to prevent them from being closed automatically is a terrible idea. This should only be recommended if a committer has actually taken interest in the PR and would be willing to review an updated version. Anything else completely disrespects the contributor's time, on the off-chance that they actually do so.