Hi Tison,
I also thought about this.
Making a person a "Contributor" is required for being an "Assignable User",
so normal Jira accounts can't be assigned to a ticket.

We could make every Jira user an "Assignable User", but restrict assigning
a ticket to people with committer permissions.
There are some other permissions attached to the "Contributor" role, such
as "Closing" and "Editing" (including "Transition", "Logging work", etc.).
I think we should keep the "Contributor" role, but we could be (as you
propose) make it more restrictive. Maybe "invite only" for people who are
apparently active in our Jira.

Best,
Robert