I resonate with your concerns Robert. It's because most questions are asked
in the DingTalk group which has close to 10,000 people now. Here're my
observations and thoughts.

Group chat is great for marketing, announce news and updates, broadcast
live streams/events, and is just TERRIBLE for ask-answer questions and
discussions (may be ok for 3-5 :) surely not 10,000...) We probably all
experienced the problems - content not really searchable, topics lost fast,
too much noise, people post questions without evening doing any homework
first, etc. I personally have muted that group chat and haven't really look
at it for a long time, and I do feel the heat in the group is also going
down because of the problems.

Mailing list is indeed old school, but it still exists nowadays for its own
reasons - searchable, async communication, topic focused, etc. And I
believe all technical discussions and ask-answer should happen in the
mailing list, not in that group.

IMO, the root cause is that we haven't clarified what that DingTalk group
should be really used for, and how it should work together with our user-zh
mailing list. We created that group chat and kind of just let it drive to
its own directions. This is a good time to reflect on how we should
position that group and mailing list.

As mentioned above, I believe the group chat should only be used for
marketing/interacting, announcing news and updates, broadcasting live
streams/events, etc, and all technical discussions should be diverted to
user-zh mailing list.

I cc-ed a few organizers and drivers of the DingTalk group so that they can
share their thoughts.

Bowen