Hi all,

I do very much agree with the statement from Aljosha's initial message,
which is currently also expressed in the description page of a FLIP.

    These will stick around for quite a while after they’re implemented and the
PMC (and the committers) has the burden of maintaining them. I think that
therefore FLIP votes are even move important than release votes, because they
steer the long time direction of Flink.

Therefore I think we should enforce following the lazy majority
approach. I will probably just repeat what was already said, but I do
think this would make the decisions more visible, easier to reference in
case of related decisions, and also this would show if the community has
capacity to implement the FLIP. Nowadays, even if a FLIP is "accepted"
it might be just stale because there are no committers that have the
capacity to help with the changes.

Another, maybe an orthogonal issue, is that we could maybe use this
process for agreeing on a scope of a release. I think it might make
sense to construct a release plan of an accepted FLIPs. This would
enforce better scoping of FLIPs, as they would have to fit into a single
release. In my opinion FLIPs that spawn multiple releases(thus even over
multiple years) are rarely relevant in the future anymore, as the
project evolves and it usually makes sense to revisit the original
proposal anyway. This would have the benefits that:

  * we have a clear scope for a release rather than just a vague list of
    features that we want to have.
  * the whole community is on the same page what a certain feature means
  * the scope does not change drastically during the development period

As for what should and what should not deserve a FLIP, I actually quite
like the definition in the FLIPs page[1]. I think it does make sense to
have a FLIP, and as a result a voting process, for any *public* or major
change. I agree with Gordon. Even if the change is trivial it might
affect external systems/users and it is also a commitment from the
community. Therefore I think they deserve a vote.

Lastly, I think Jark raised a valid point. We should have a clear
understanding what binding votes in this case mean. I think it makes
sense to consider PMC's and committers' votes as binding for FLIPs
voting. Otherwise we would lose the aspect of committing to help with
getting the FLIP into the codebase.

To sum up I would opt for enforcing the lazy majority. I would suggest
to consider constructing a release plan with a list of accepted FLIPs.

Best,

Dawid

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Improvement+Proposals#FlinkImprovementProposals-Whatisconsidereda%22majorchange%22thatneedsaFLIP?