From:Thomas Weise <t...@apache.org>
Sent At:2020 Feb. 5 (Wed.) 14:04
To:Gary Yao <g...@apache.org>; dev <dev@flink.apache.org>
Subject:Re: [VOTE] Release 1.10.0, release candidate #1

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply.

-->

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 5:20 AM Gary Yao <g...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> > 2) Was there a change in how job recovery reflects in the uptime metric?
> > Didn't uptime previously reset to 0 on recovery (now it just keeps
> > increasing)?
>
> The uptime is the difference between the current time and the time when the
> job transitioned to RUNNING state. By default we no longer transition the
> job
> out of the RUNNING state when restarting. This has something to do with the
> new scheduler which enables pipelined region failover by default [1].
> Actually
> we enabled pipelined region failover already in the binary distribution of
> Flink 1.9 by setting:
>
>     jobmanager.execution.failover-strategy: region
>
> in the default flink-conf.yaml. Unless you have removed this config option
> or
> you are using a custom yaml, you should be seeing this behavior in Flink
> 1.9.
> If you do not want region failover, set
>
>     jobmanager.execution.failover-strategy: full

We are using the default (the jobmanager.execution.failover-strategy
setting is not present in our flink config).

The change in behavior I see is between the 1.9 based deployment and the
1.10 RC.

Our 1.9 branch is here: https://github.com/lyft/flink/tree/release-1.9-lyft

I also notice that the exception causing a restart is no longer displayed
in the UI, which is probably related?

> > 1) Is the low watermark display in the UI still broken?
>
> I was not aware that this is broken. Is there an issue tracking this bug?

The watermark issue was https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-14470

(I don't have a good way to verify it is fixed at the moment.)

Another problem with this 1.10 RC is that the checkpointAlignmentTime
metric is missing. (I have not been able to investigate this further yet.)