It is indeed unfortunate that these issues are discovered only now. I think
Thomas has a valid point, and we might be risking the trust of our users
here.

What are our options?

    1. Document this behavior and how to work around it copiously in the
release notes [1]
    2. Try to restore the previous behavior
    3. Change default value of jobmanager.scheduler to "legacy" and rollout
the feature in 1.11
    4. Change default value of jobmanager.scheduler to "legacy" and rollout
the feature earliest in 1.10.1

[1]
https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/10997/files#diff-b84c5611825842e8f74301ca70d94d23R86