Hi Jark,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Actually, the timing of starting a Python process depends on the UDF type,
because the Python process is used to provide the necessary information to
instantiate the FunctionDefinition object of the Python UDF. For catalog
function, the FunctionDefinition will be instantiated when compiling the job,
which means the Python process is required during the compilation instead of
the registeration. For temporary system function and temporary catalog
function, the FunctionDefinition will be instantiated during the UDF
registeration, so the Python process need to be started at that time.

But this FLIP will only support registering the temporary system function and
temporary catalog function in SQL DDL because registering Python UDF to catalog
is not supported yet. We plan to support the registeration of Python catalog
function (via Table API and SQL DDL) in a separate FLIP. I'll add a non-goal
section to the FLIP page to illustrate this.

Best,
Wei