We can create additional releases independent of Flink, but they will have to go through a formal release process in any case.

On 22/04/2020 14:55, Ismaël Mejía wrote:
Hello,

I wanted to discuss about a subject that was shortly mentioned during the docker
unification thread (and in some other PR) that is the release of docker images
independent of major Flink releases.

In the past when the docker images were maintained outside of the Apache
repository we usually did intermediary releases to fix issues or to add new
functionalities that were independent of the Flink releases and specific of the
docker images.

There are two major cases when this happened:

1. If the upstream official docker images maintainers requested us to do the
    changes or there was some breakage because some upstream change (this is
rare
    but has happened in the past).

2. If we wanted to fix issues or add new functionality to the images that was
    independent of the full Flink release.

We have been working on having Java 11 based images available and this is an
example of (2), where we want to publish these images based on the already
released 1.10.0 version.

So I would like to know your opinion on how should we proceed in the future.
Ideally we should wait for the major release, but the reality is that (1) can
happen and (2) can benefit end users.

So what should we do? Can we do these updates without a formal release as we did
before, or does it make sense to follow a release process with the corresponding
vote for the docker images? or are there other alternatives?

Regards,
Ismaël