Hi everyone

thanks for your feedback. It's a lot of content that needs to be digested. I will update the FLIP shortly to incorporate some of the feedback already. But let me respond to some topics first:

"not deprecate these API", "the API of the table layer is changing too fast"

I agree that deprecating API is definitely not great for users, but in this cases I think it is for the greater good it makes the API more understandable and focuses on common use cases for the future. I would rather say that the API is about to settle because there only a couple of shortcomings left and the bigger picture is clearer than ever. IMO The proposed changes are one of the last bigger API changes on the roadmap. I cannot see other bigger refactorings in the mid-term. Keeping methods just because we changed so much in the last releases should not be a reason to keep confusing API. Users are happy to upgrade if they also get more features by upgrading (e.g. fromChangelogStream).

1. "fromDataStream VS fromInsertStream"

The main reason to change this API is to have the possibility to update the type mapping without breaking backwards compatibility. The name `fromInsertStream` makes it possible to have new semantics and makes concepts more explicit by naming.

2. "toAppendStream VS toInsertStream"

"Append" is common in the Flink community but the outside world uses "insert". Actually, the term "append-only table" is wrong because SQL tables have bag semantics without any order. So "appending" is more of an "insertion". This is also represented in FLIP-95's `RowKind` where we call the concepts INSERT and `ChangelogKind.insertOnly`.

3. "`.rowtime()` and `.proctime()`"

"API is also widely used, even in our test code"

The test code is already quite outdated and uses a lot of deprecated API. We need to deal with that with a better testing infrastructure. But this can be future work.

"users have already accepted it"

I'm not sure if users have already accepted it. I think we get at least one question around this topic every week because users would like to call `.rowtime` on arbitrary timestamps in the middle of the pipeline. And specifying all fields just to give the StreamRecord timestamp a name should be made easier. This is necessary in 80% of all use cases.

4. "toAppendStream(Table table, Class<T>/TypeInformation)"

The DataType system is way easier than the TypeInformation system because it provides a consistent look and feel with a lot of utilities. E.g. many users didn't know that they can just pass `Row.class` in the past. Actually extracting types from a `Row.class` is not supported by the TypeExtractor (we recently even printed a warning to the logs) but we hacked some logic into the method. With AbstractDataType, users can still use classes via `DataTypes.of`; for example `toInsertStream(DataTypes.of(MyPojo.class))`.

5. "tEnv#createTemporaryView was introduced in release-1.10"

Similar to `TableEnvironment.execute()` we did some mistakes during the big refactorings. IMHO tEnv#createTemporaryView was one mistake because we introduced it too quickly. In general this method is correct, but now we cannot change the underlying semantics again without breaking existing pipelines. We could keep this method and just change the type system under the hood, in most of the cases the pipeline should still work but we cannot guarantee this due to slight differences.

6. "could it be "StreamTableEnvironment.fromDataStream(DataStream<T>, ChangelogMode)"

No this is not possible, because T records have no changeflag. Without a changeflag, a ChangelogMode makes not much sense. That's why `from/toChangelogStream` supports only `Row` whereas the `from/toInsertStream` accepts arbitrary type classes.

7. "i must say I prefer tEnv.fromDataStream(dataStream, Schema)"

I also thought about this method and using `Schema` there. However, with a schema you cannot specify the data type of the top-level record itself. We would need to offer fromDataStream(dataStream, Schema, DataType) or integrate the DataType into the Schema class itself which would mix up the concepts.

8. "name-based setters should always be based on fieldNames"

I'm fine with throwing an exception. If my mentioned semantics, are too confusing.

Regards,
Timo