Thanks Shengkai for bringing up this discussion. I think it covers a lot of
useful features which will dramatically improve the usability of our SQL
Client. I have two questions regarding the FLIP.

1. Do you think we can let users set arbitrary configurations via the SET
command? A connector may have its own configurations and we don't have a
way to dynamically change such configurations in SQL Client. For example,
users may want to be able to change hive conf when using hive connector [1].
2. Any reason why we have to forbid queries in SQL files specified with the
-f option? Hive supports a similar -f option but allows queries in the
file. And a common use case is to run some query and redirect the results
to a file. So I think maybe flink users would like to do the same,
especially in batch scenarios.

--
Best regards!
Rui Li