Hi Eron,

1. fair point. It still feels odd to have writeWatermark in the
SinkFunction (it's supposed to be functional as you mentioned), but I agree
that invokeWatermark is not better. So unless someone has a better idea,
I'm fine with it.
2.+3. I tried to come up with scenarios for a longer time. In general, it
seems as if the new SinkWriter interface encourages more injection (see
processing time service in InitContext), such that the need for the context
is really just context information of that particular record and I don't
see any use beyond timestamp and watermark. For SinkFunction, I'd not
over-engineer as it's going to be deprecated soonish. So +1 to leave it out.
4. Okay so I double-checked: from an execution perspective, it works.
However, japicmp would definitely complain. I propose to add it to the
compatibility section like this. We need to add an exception to SinkWriter
then. (SinkFunction is already on the exception list)
5.+6. Awesome, I was also sure but wanted to double check.

Best,

Arvid