Thanks Piotr for bringing this up.  I reflected on this and I agree we
should expose idleness, otherwise a multi-stage flow could stall.

Regarding the latency markers, I don't see an immediate need for
propagating them, because they serve to estimate latency within a pipeline,
not across pipelines.  One would probably need to enhance the source
interface also to do e2e latency.  Seems we agree this aspect is out of
scope.

I took a look at the code to get a sense of how to accomplish this.  The
gist is a new `markIdle` method on the `StreamOperator` interface, that is
called when the stream status maintainer (the `OperatorChain`) transitions
to idle state.  Then, a new `markIdle` method on the `SinkFunction` and
`SinkWriter` that is called by the respective operators.   Note that
StreamStatus is an internal class.

Here's a draft PR (based on the existing PR of FLINK-22700) to highlight
this new aspect:
https://github.com/streamnative/flink/pull/2/files

Please let me know if you'd like me to proceed to update the FLIP with
these details.

Thanks again,
Eron