Hey,

Sorry for the late response – been off the ML for a few days.

I am not too familiar with other Go libs that use a custom context. One
place we could look is the `net/http` Request, which has a `WithContext`
method[1] that seems to expose the behavior we're looking for. That could
be added to the statefun context package as a standalone method (e.g.
statefun.WithContext(sCtx Context, ctx context.Context)), but would only
work for the private implementation. I think the statefun Context type
being an interface instead of a concrete type complicates and restricts us
a bit here.

I guess I am not fully understanding why the statefun Context needs to be
used so far down the line. The solution that Till proposed seems to fit the
example you gave quite well, no?

func (f *MyFunc) Invoke(ctx statefun.Context, message statefun.Message)
error {
   logger := NewLogger()
   downCtx := context.WithValue(ctx, "logger", logger)
   return SomeOtherFunc(downCtx)
}

func SomeOtherFunc(ctx context.Context) error {
   logger := ctx.Value("logger")
   return nil
}

What does "SomeOtherFunc" need with the statefun context? I think that
would help me, at least, understand the role of the statefun context.

 I'm curious what you would think about an approach that kept everything
> as-is, by default, but allowed for a separated context and runtime in the
> Invoke method, on an opt-in basis, via an adapter?

I am not involved in statefun really, but IMO that seems like quite a lot
of overhead to just pass values via the context. Perhaps we should consider
decomposing the statefun context itself so pieces of functionality can be
passed around more easily?

Best,
Austin

[1]: https://pkg.go.dev/net/http#Request.WithContext