Hi, Everyone,

I would like to open a discussion on setting incremental checkpoint as default
behavior.

Currently, the configuration of state.backend.incremental is set as false by
default. Incremental checkpoint has been adopted widely in industry community
for many years , and it is also well-tested from the feedback in the community
discussion. Incremental checkpointing is more light-weighted: shorter
checkpoint duration, less uploaded data and less resource consumption.

In terms of backward compatibility, enable incremental checkpointing would not
make any data loss no matter restoring from a full checkpoint/savepoint or an
incremental checkpoint.

FLIP-193 (Snapshot ownership)[1] has been released in 1.15, incremental
checkpoint no longer depends on a previous restored checkpoint in default
NO_CLAIM mode, which makes the checkpoint lineage much cleaner, it is a good
chance to change the configuration state.backend.incremental to true as default.

Thus, based on the above discussion, I suggest to make
state.backend.incremental as true by default. What do you think of this
proposal?

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-193%3A+Snapshots+ownership

Best regards,