Hi everyone,

As discussed earlier, we plan to create a benchmark channel in Apache Flink
slack[1], but the plan was shelved for a while[2]. So I went on with this
work, and created the #flink-dev-benchmarks channel for performance
regression notifications.

We have a regression report script[3] that runs daily, and a notification
would be sent to the slack channel when the last few benchmark results are
significantly worse than the baseline.
Note, regressions are detected by a simple script which may have false
positives and false negatives. And all benchmarks are executed on one
physical machine[4] which is provided by Ververica(Alibaba)[5], it might
happen that hardware issues affect performance, like "[FLINK-18614
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-18614>] Performance regression
2020.07.13"[6].

After the migration, we need a procedure to watch over the entire
performance of Flink code together. For example, if a regression
occurs, investigating the cause and resolving the problem are needed. In
the past, this procedure is maintained internally within Ververica, but we
think making the procedure public would benefit all. I volunteer to serve
as one of the initial maintainers, and would be glad if more contributors
can join me. I'd also prepare some guidelines to help others get familiar
with the workflow. I will start a new thread to discuss the workflow soon.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@flink.apache.org/msg58666.html
https://github.com/apache/flink-benchmarks/blob/master/regression_report.py
[4] http://codespeed.dak8s.net:8080
[5] https://lists.apache.org/thread/jzljp4233799vwwqnr0vc9wgqs0xj1ro