+1 on the overall direction, it's an important feature.

I've had a look on the latest master and looks like removed partition
handling is not yet added but I think this is essential.

https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/28c3e1a3923ba560b559a216985c1abeb794ebaa/flink-connectors/flink-connector-kafka/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/connector/kafka/source/enumerator/KafkaSourceEnumerator.java#L305

If a partition all of a sudden disappears then it could lead to data loss.
Are you planning to add it?
If yes then when?