Hi Piotr,

I discussed with @jinsong lee about `Timestamp Barrier` and `Aligned
Checkpoint` for data consistency in FLIP, we think there are many defects
indeed in using `Aligned Checkpoint` to support data consistency as you
mentioned.

According to our historical discussion, I think we have reached an
agreement on an important point: we finally need `Timestamp Barrier
Mechanism` to support data consistency. But according to our (@jinsong lee
and I) opinions, the total design and implementation based on 'Timestamp
Barrier' will be too complex, and it's also too big in one FLIP.

So we‘d like to use FLIP-276[1] as an overview design of data consistency
in Flink Streaming and Batch ETL based on `Timestamp Barrier`. @jinsong and
I hope that we can reach an agreement on the overall design in FLINK-276
first, and then on the basic of FLIP-276 we can create other FLIPs with
detailed design according to modules and drive them. Finally, we can
support data consistency based on Timestamp in Flink.

I have updated FLIP-276, deleted the Checkpoint section, and added the
overall design of  `Timestamp Barrier`. Here I briefly describe the modules
of `Timestamp Barrier` as follows
1. Generation: JobManager must coordinate all source subtasks and generate
a unified timestamp barrier from System Time or Event Time for them
2. Checkpoint: Store <checkpoint, timestamp barrier> when the timestamp
barrier is generated, so that the job can recover the same timestamp
barrier for the uncompleted checkpoint.
3. Replay data: Store <timestamp barrier, offset> for source when it
broadcasts timestamp barrier, so that the source can replay the same data
according to the same timestamp barrier.
4. Align data: Align data for stateful operator(aggregation, join and etc.)
and temporal operator(window)
5. Computation: Operator computation for a specific timestamp barrier based
on the results of a previous timestamp barrier.
6. Output: Operator outputs or commits results when it collects all the
timestamp barriers, including operators with data buffer or async
operations.

I also list the main work in Flink and Table Store in FLIP-276. Please help
to review the FLIP when you're free and feel free to give any comments.

Looking forward for your feedback, THX

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-276%3A+Data+Consistency+of+Streaming+and+Batch+ETL+in+Flink+and+Table+Store

Best,