Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

>> Are you proposing that all of the inputs to stateful operators would
have to be sorted?

> Records in stream don't need to be sorted, but it should be managed by
`Timestamp Barrier`, which means
> 1. Records belonging to a specific `Timestamp Barrier` are disordered.
> 2. Computations in different timestamp barriers are ordered. For the above
> example, each stateful subtask can start computation for T2 only after it
> finishes computation for T1. Subtasks are independent of each other.

Wouldn't that add significant latency to processing the records? You would
basically introduce a batch processing concept in Flink?

Have you considered some alternative solutions? Like for example letting
each operator/function/sink to take care of the data disorder? For example:
- stateless operators, could completely ignore the issue and process the
records normally, as they are doing right now
- stateful operators, should either:
    - if the business doesn't require ordering, they could process the
records immediately
    - or buffer the records internally, like currently windowed/temporal
operators are doing. Non windowed joins/aggregations could also work in a
similar manner, like pre-aggregate data per each "epoch" (as demarcated by
timestamp barriers).
- sinks implementation would have to match what external system support:
    - if the external system requires ordered writes (something like Kafka
topic?), the sinks would have to buffer the writes until a "timestamp
barrier" arrives
    - some sinks might support writing the data simultaneously to different
"epochs". For example writing files bucketed by each epoch. Each
bucket/epoch could be committed independently

This way, latency would be behaving very much like it currently does in
Flink. For example if we have a following streaming SQL:

INSERT INTO alerts_with_user SELECT * FROM alerts a, users u WHERE
a.user_id = u.id

If there is some lag in the users table, alerts would be still generated.
Downstream applications could process and react to newly generated
`alerts_with_user`, while at the same time, we could have a consistent view
across those three tables (users, alerts, alerts_with_user) if needed.

> I call the data of the timetamp barrier "committed" if the data
> is written to a table according to the barrier without a snapshot, and the
> data may be "rolled back" due to job failure. (sorry that the "committed"
> here may not be appropriate)

Ok, I get it now. Indeed the terminology is confusing. Maybe we shouldn't
say that the timestamp barrier has been committed, but that all records for
given "epoch" have been processed/written, but not yet committed, so they
can still be rolled-back?

> For example, when multiple jobs start at the same time and register
themselves in `MetaService`,
> it needs to serially check whether they write to the same table

Why do we need to do that? Only to disallow this? To forbid writing from
two jobs into a single table? If so, can we not push this responsibility
down to the connector? Like sink/source operator coordinators should
negotiate with respective external systems if the given read/write is
allowed? So if there is a need for such meta service, Flink doesn't need to
know about it?

Best,
Piotrek