Hi, JingSong, Jing.

thank for sharing your opinions.

What you say makes sense, both approaches have pros and cons.

If it is a modification of `TableEnvrionment`, such as
listDatabases(catalog). It is actually consistent with the other overloaded
methods before,
and defining this method means that TableEnvrionment does provide this
capability (rather than relying on the functionality of another class).
The disadvantage is that api changes may be required, and may continue to
be modified in the future.
But from the TableEnvrionment itself, it really doesn't pay attention to
how the underlying layer is implemented.
(Although it is actually taken from the catalogManager at present, this is
another question)

Judging from the current dependencies, flink-table-api-java strongly relies
on flink-table-common to use various common classes and interfaces,
especially the catalog interface.
So we can extract various metadata information in the catalog through
`tEnv.getCatalog`.
The advantage is that it will not cause api modification, but this method
of use breaks LoD.
In fact, the current flink-table-api-java design is completely bound to the
catalog interface.

If the mandatory modification of PublicApi is constrained (may be modified
again and later), I tend to use `tEnv.getCatalog` directly, otherwise
It would actually be more standard to add overloaded methods to
`TableEnvrionment`.

Another question, can the later capabilities of TableEnvrionment be
implemented through SupportXXX?
In order to solve the problem that the method needs to be added in the
future. This kind of usage occurs frequently in flink.

Looking forward to your other considerations,
and also try to wait to see if there are other relevant API designers or
committers to provide comments.

Best Regards,
Ran Tao

Jing Ge <j...@ververica.com.invalid> 于2023年2月23日周四 18:58写道: