Hi Martijn,

Thanks for your reply with details. Appreciate it.

> Flink-Shaded is usually only updated whenever a
> new Flink minor version is released and only at the beginning of the
> release cycle, so that there's enough time to stabilize Flink.

This is the information I am looking for. It will help devs understand the
compatibility between different versions of flink and flink-shaded, if it
could be described in the readme. If you don't mind, I can create a pr and
update it.

Speaking of this rule, I have a follow-up question: do you have any concern
if flink-shaded 16.2 will be released and upgraded(from 16.1 to 16.2) in
Flink 1.17? Is there anything we should pay attention to while releasing a
new minor flink-shaded version?

Best regards,
Jing

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 9:01 AM Martijn Visser <martijnvis...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi Jing,
>
> Flink Shaded exists so that Flinks internal usage of commonly used packages
> such as Guava, Jackson inside of Flink don't clash with different versions
> that users might use when creating a Flink application. When I did the
> upgrade of Flink Shaded, we already ran into a bunch of problems because a
> lot of the externalized connectors relied on Flink Shaded, which made it
> problematic to get the connector to work on both Flink 1.17 and Flink 1.18.
> There's been quite a lot of effort put into making sure that externalized
> connectors don't rely on Flink Shaded at all anymore, by either using their
> own versions of shaded artifacts (which was the case with the Pulsar
> connector) or just removing the dependency on Flink Shaded all together, by
> using regular Java.
>
> If you would upgrade flink-shaded from 16.1 to 17.0 in Flink 1.17, you
> would break all externalized connectors that rely on Flink Shaded's Guava
> version, plus you potentially would impact the runtime given that there's a
> newer Netty version etc. Flink-Shaded is usually only updated whenever a

new Flink minor version is released and only at the beginning of the
> release cycle, so that there's enough time to stabilize Flink.

All in all, we shouldn't upgrade flink-shaded in Flink 1.17.