Hi everyone,

The Flink community discussed migrating from Azure CI to GitHub Actions
quite some time ago [1]. The efforts around that stalled due to limitations
around self-hosted runner support from Apache Infra’s side. There were some
recent developments on that topic. Apache Infra is experimenting with
ephemeral runners now which might enable us to move ahead with GitHub
Actions.

The goal is to join the trial phase for ephemeral runners and experiment
with our CI workflows in terms of stability and performance. At the end we
can decide whether we want to abandon Azure CI and move to GitHub Actions
or stick to the former one.

Nico Weidner and Chesnay laid the groundwork on this topic in the past. I
picked up the work they did and continued experimenting with it in my own
fork XComp/flink [2] the past few weeks. The workflows are in a state where
I think that we start moving the relevant code into Flink’s repository.
Example runs for the basic workflow [3] and the extended (nightly) workflow
[4] are provided.

This will bring a few more changes to the Flink contributors. That is why I
wanted to bring this discussion to the mailing list first. I did a write up
on (hopefully) all related topics in FLIP-395 [5].

I’m looking forward to your feedback.

Matthias

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/vcyx2nx0mhklqwm827vgykv8pc54gg3k

[2] https://github.com/XComp/flink/actions

[3] https://github.com/XComp/flink/actions/runs/6926309782

[4] https://github.com/XComp/flink/actions/runs/6927443941

[5]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-395%3A+Migration+to+GitHub+Actions

--

[image: Aiven] <https://www.aiven.io>

*Matthias Pohl*
Opensource Software Engineer, *Aiven*
matthias.p...@aiven.io <i...@aiven.io>   |  +49 170 9869525
aiven.io <https://www.aiven.io>   |   <https://www.facebook.com/aivencloud>
  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/aiven/>   <https://twitter.com/aiven_io>
*Aiven Deutschland GmbH*
Alexanderufer 3-7, 10117 Berlin
Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen
Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 209739 B