> IIUC, you both prefer using ConfigOption instead of string keys for
> all use cases, even internal ones. We can even forcefully delete
> these @Depreated methods in Flink-2.0 to guide users or
> developers to use ConfigOption.

Yes, at least from my side.

I noticed that Configuration is used in
> DistributedCache#writeFileInfoToConfig and readFileInfoFromConfig
> to store some cacheFile meta-information. Their keys are
> temporary(key name with number) and it is not convenient
> to predefine ConfigOption.

True, this one requires a bit more effort to migrate from string-key to
ConfigOption, but still should be doable. Looking at how the two mentioned
methods are implemented and used, it seems what is really needed is
serialization and deserialization of `DistributedCacheEntry`-s. And all the
entries are always written / read at once. So I think we can serialize the
whole set of entries into a JSON string (or something similar), and use one
ConfigOption with a deterministic key for it, rather than having one
ConfigOption for each field in each entry. WDYT?

If everyone agrees with this direction, we can start to refactor all
> code that uses getXxx(String key, String defaultValue) into
> getXxx(ConfigOption<Xxx> configOption), and completely
> delete all getXxx(String key, String defaultValue) in 2.0.
> And I'm willing to pick it up~

Exactly. Actually, Xuannan and a few other colleagues are working on
reviewing all the existing configuration options. We identified some common
issues that can potentially be improved, and not using string-key is one of
them. We are still summarizing the findings, and will bring them to the
community for discussion once ready. Helping hands is definitely welcomed.
:)

Yeah, `toMap` can solve the problem, and I also mentioned it in the
> initial mail.

True. Sorry I overlooked it.

Best,

Xintong