Tim Williams wrote:
What are the best ways of
approaching it? (avoiding building unchanged document is the obvious first
step I guess)

One thing to bear in mind is that each time we
enhance the pelt skin, then *all* pages need to
be re-generated even though their content hasn't changed.

Also adding a new page means changes to the navigation menu
which means regenerating lots of pages that haven't changed.

For these two, skin changes and navi changes, this may be really dumb
(haven't fully thought it through) but how bad would it be to have a
different target for builds intended for a web server so that we could
utilize server side includes?

This is not a dumb idea at all, I think it's a pretty smart idea. It wouldn't be different targets it would be different views. So, for example, in the SSI version the navigation would be the relevant SSI include.

I've not thought this through either though...

Ross