David Crossley wrote:
> Gav.... wrote:

> > | Nothing recent that I can see,
>
> I found it. Not in Jira, but an old discussion in the
> mail archives. It was a broader topic, checksums was
> just part of it.
>  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112357127600001
>  Re: Reducing Forrest build time
>
> > | I will uncomment out the line
> > | that reads <checksums-uri>build/work/checksums</checksums-uri>
> > | in the cli.xconf (site-author ?) , I guess I don't need to do anything
> > else
> > | ?
> >
> > Nothing else needs doing, this works fine.
> >
> > I did a 'forrest site' to an unchanged site and it took 3:55
> >
> > I then enabled the checksums and did 'forrest site' again
> > it took over 4 minutes - during this time I guess the checksums
> > are at work.
> >
> > I then did a 'forrest site' again and it took 2:50 and correctly
> > skipped all files.
>
> Thanks for getting this clarified Gav.
> Yes, similar numbers for me, very impressive.
> That is a 20% speedup.

Grrr, got too excited and spoke too soon. I now reckon
that this speedup might be due to the Cocoon cache.

Try this ...
cd forrest-trunk/site-author
forrest clean
forrest
... took 4:41
forrest
... took 3:35
now enable checksums in site-author/conf/cli.xconf
forrest
... took 3:38 ... all files were generated.
forrest
... took 3:37 ... only changed files were written.

See Ferdinand's discussion about checksums and then caching:

-David