El jue, 16-03-2006 a las 19:10 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > David Crossley escribi??:

> > > I definitely do not want us to start keeping track
> > > of who did what. That is very dangerous in open source
> > > projects. It works against community-building.
> >
> > Well that is your personal opinion.
>
> Every statement is our personal opinion and we
> don't need to keep saying so.

That is not true and you know it. I had a similar case on another list
where a similiar thing happened. If somebody "important" from the
project speaks up it seems for outsider that she is reflecting the
opinion of the project.

Sometimes we need to point out that it is our personal opinion and not
the one of the project!

> > I never have seen university nor commercial studies providing evidence
> > for such a relation. Do you have any proof or concrete examples for this
> > claim?
>
> The ASF and its ways is starting to be discussed
> in such fora, but really we are breaking new ground
> in community building.
>
> It is obvious to me that if we start making a special
> list of who did what, then we will get into hot water.
> Listing certain people and not *every* person who
> made a contribution will cause various troubles.
> Here are some ...
>
> * Inferiority complex.
>
> * Mistaken impression about "leadership". There are
> no leaders in Apache communities. We are essentially
> all equal developers. The committed ones will eventually
> become committers.
>
> * Maintenance nightmare. Who is going to wade through
> our history and list all the deserving contributions.
> Who will keep it up-to-date.
>
> * Impossible to determine who is a "deserving contributor".

Hmm, that are some of the well known FUD arguments of it. You have not
shown me any proof of such relation but rather used the most common FUD
arguments.

I still do not understand, why other Apache projects are having a
history page and you are not concerned enough about it to bring it up in
those projects (or in the case of cocoon where you are committer, just
revert it/remove it, like you did with my commit).

Why?

salu2
--
thorsten