Ok , I've had another look now.

We know the problem is due to the link not appearing in the site.xml file.
Reverting the change will revert it for all webapp sites , yes?

So we can

A) Revert as suggested.
B) Add a full URI to a site.xml entry instead for the test sites.

I like B better because it is a workaround to only the affected builds, and
leaves others intact and using it properly.

The problem has only arisen really because we have included a 'Plugins' tab
and a label to only the plugins index page, within the sample sites. Maybe
another answer is to either

1. include all information on Plugins in the sample sites, meaning the
usingPlugins and pluginInfrastructure pages are there too, providing a
complete set of information.

2. Remove the Plugins Tab and Index entry from the sample sites.

I don't mind either of these as another option to B.

If someone wants to revert Davids change, fine go ahead, I don't like it,
but I am only one voice :)

If anyone likes any of my preferences, I will apply whichever one suits
best.

Gav...