On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Sjur Moshagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Den 21. aug. 2008 kl. 10.06 skrev Thorsten Scherler:
>
>>> QUESTIONS:
>>>
>>> Is this dependency acceptable?
>>
>> IMO yes, since the plugin is very small and thought a infrastructure
>> code. Like you describe the alternative to implement it in the sitemap
>> is cumbersome to maintain.
>
> Are there other opinions? Do we need a vote before we tie ourselves to this
> dependency?

In the past I think we've consistently decided against having
dependent plugins until we have a facility built in that will manage
them properly.  I reckon this is due to version incompatibility
problems between plugins, etc.

>>> How should it/can it be formalised?
>>
>> Not sure what you mean?
>
> Whether it is possible to formalize the dependency, such that if the pdf
> plugin is specified, forrest will automatically also include other plugins
> the pdf plugin is dependent on. But if I remember past discussions
> correctly, this isn't possible yet.

It is not and I believe this is the issue.  There's no way for plugin
A to say I require version N of plugin B, for example.  Complicating
matters, if you have two plugins with dependencies on differing
versions of the same plugin, strange things are likely to happen.  I
believe it's this complication (the devils in the details) that has
kept us from having such a capability for so long.

I'm not saying we shouldn't change the status quo but I think it's
worthy of some discussion first.  Having said that, you seem to be on
a good roll and I don't want long discussion to slow you down either:)

--tim