Saturday, February 17, 2018, 2:36:37 PM, Taher Alkhateeb wrote:

> Ahh I see, I guess that's the layer of complexity Jacopo was pointing
> to (fall back mechanism). Every time I engage here I learn something
> :) In this case I stand neutral. it sounds a bit challenging but I
> have zero knowledge of the code base and perhaps the architecture
> allows for that.

It allows that. It's already possible to do with the public
Environment Java API. It's just that then you had to implement a
custom TemplateDirectiveModel and all... and it might not be so easy
to do (or to do correctly) for an average user.

Anyway, an important selling point of FreeMarker is that you generally
have to run less circles to make developers add this-and-that tool,
also to find the typically lacking documentation of in-house
directives, because lot of the stuff is there out-of-the-box and is
documented in the Manual. (Except that people enjoy using ancient
FreeMarker versions... like 2.3.19(!) and 2.3.23 are big favorites.)

> I find this over all intriguing and interesting, if you intend to work
> on this feature would you mind sharing the JIRA number so I can follow
> on the code changes?

It's in the thread Subject... :)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FREEMARKER-84

--