Saturday, March 17, 2018, 1:34:11 PM, Randika Navagamuwa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         I'm from Sri Lanka and currently, I'm working as a Senior Software
> Engineer at AdroitLogic Lanka (Pvt) Ltd [1]. During my undergraduate
> period, I've contributed to some open source projects including Eclipse Che
> [2].

Speaking of Eclipse... we had a bit of a problem with the old Eclipse
editor plugin (at JBoss Tools), which it sparked this new one using
LSP4J (also used by Che AFAIK; not sure how syntax highlighting parts
works there): https://github.com/angelozerr/lsp4e-freemarker

If you are interested in that, let me know.

> For some time I couldn't actively participate in any open source
> projects and I thought of getting back to it.
>
>       After going through some Apache projects I found Free Marker
> really interesting. I'm interested in taking part in "*FreeMarker Spring
> MVC integration.
>
> Please let me know how to contribute to this.

So first of all, glad to hear that you are interested. We need that a
lot, especially when it comes to supporting frameworks and IDE-s.

Now, there are two main development branches:

- FreeMarker 2: This is the one that's actually used in production,
  for 15 years or so. Be prepared for remnants of 2000-s cowboy
  coding <-;, and complications and restrictions for keeping backward
  compatibility.

  The Spring support was made very long ago by someone who, I don't
  remember ever talked to the FM developers (I was already around in
  that times). My brief interactions with it has shown that it's not
  very good, and it's quite abandoned. Now, the main problem is that
  it's at Spring, not here. So I'm not sure if writing patches to them
  is the better, or starting over here. Though I'm certain that the
  last is much more fun, and you have more freedom to figure out the
  best approach to bring FM2 features and Spring together. (OTOH that
  will lead to FM support being removed from Spring, which is quite a
  loss in visibility... but we go for what's best technically.)

  If you need new FM features during that (and certainly you will, if
  you are creative about it), I can do that if you find the FM2
  internals scary (which would be understandable).

- FreeMarker 3: You can read about it here:
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FREEMARKER/FreeMarker+3
  So it's much more rewarding to work with, except that nobody uses it
  yet... Furthermore, Woonsan Ko (a PPMC member here) has implemented
  a lot of the Spring integration already, as you will find. I know
  there are parts missing, even trickier parts (like i10n messages
  that are outputFormat aware). Not sure if he wants them for himself
  (after all, those are the fun parts), or if he needs help elsewhere.
  Woonsan?

Also, generating e-mail in Spring seems to become more and more
important compared to generating web pages. Just in case you are
interested in polishing that application as well. But really, find the
a part that you think you will enjoy.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany